Thursday, June 2, 2011

Home Office Progress and Desk Transformation

Remember that desk I found off of Craigslist for only $25 a while back?? Well, I finally got around to working on it as well as getting the rest of the home office in order! Due to the rough shape of the desk (1951 Lester Bros.), I decided to paint the bottom rather than refinish and instead refinished the top. I cleaned and sanded the top, stained, and finished it with a coat of polyurethane.

the "before" picture of the desk;
although I like the original finish, it was in horrible shape


I decided to try out the Annie Sloan Chalk paint everyone has been raving about and was pleased with the results. It covers very well and doesn't require any sanding or priming. I used the color "Cream." The bottom of the desk is finished off with a coat of paste wax.

The transformation is certainly not complete, but I thought I'd share with you our progress so far...


For the tutorial on the slipcover for my $5 office chair, click here



The top didn't sand down very well for an even finish due to all of the deep
scratches, but that's ok with me :)

I found this vintage filing cabinet for $30 at my
local university surplus store. I love the brass hardware.


a basket for papers and bills


I can't get enough of old books




Linking to: