Saturday, April 30, 2011

Vintage Handkerchiefs

I love vintage hankies. LOVE them.


There is just something so sweet and delicate about each and every one- from the painstakingly hand-crocheted and embroidered ones to the mid-century printed designs in vivid colors- they are each unique and lovely.



I love them so much that I began collecting vintage hankies in college. By the time I got married I had amassed enough to use as wedding favors folded up into "pockets" with a message inside for all of the ladies attending our wedding reception.

vintage handkerchief favors at our wedding with
history insert. Photo by Todd Nichols Photography

Since then I have done little else with my hankies except to stash them in a round hat box...but I have recently been thinking of new ways to incorporate them into my home so that they can be functional as well as beautiful. Of course, I have a handful that I actually use for their intended purpose- I find they are much softer on the nose and face than conventional tissues, and much more sustainable with less paper that goes in the trash. It also doesn't hurt that they are pretty :)



These are some ideas of other uses for vintage hankies:

* pillows
* framed wall art
* curtains
* basket liners
* rosettes for pillows, clothing, or hair bands
* lavender sachets
* book covers
* table runners

If you collect vintage hankies, what is your favorite way to use or display them?


Linking to: