Monday, August 8, 2011

The Entry

Hi, there! Hope everyone is having a happy Monday. Today I thought I'd join up at Cottage and Vine's Room by Room series and let you have a peek at my entryway. The entry serves as a welcoming avenue into the home, and I like to keep mine simple, functional and inviting.




Since we have such a large entry, I moved this antique sideboard to serve as extra storage and a drop off station for mail


If you live in a historic home like me, it is important that you retain and preserve the original entrance door to your home as much as you can. As the architectural styles from various eras are distinctly different, likewise so are their front doors. So, for example you wouldn't want to take a salvaged door from a Queen Anne style house and use it on a Craftsman Bungalow, or transfer an entry door from a Tudor Revival style house to an early twentieth century North Carolina Triple-A farmhouse. If you are unsure of what style door would be appropriate for your historic home, consult some architectural history books from your local library or contact a local architectural historian who can point you in the right direction.




The antique sideboard provides extra space for dishes and glassware that
cannot fit in my china cabinet




Sometimes I like to display my husband's great grandfather's antique highball
set in the window sill above the sideboard.



Linking to: