Thursday, August 25, 2011

Antique Side Table

I received a beautiful ca. 1840s cherry side table table recently for my birthday (Thanks, Mom and Dad!). It has such a pretty time-worn patina to it and I just had to give it a little feature here on my blog.


The table has turned legs, a small drawer and a solid board top that is pegged. We desperately needed another little table we could use as a night stand. Our bedroom has so many doors and windows with little solid wall space that we might have to rearrange the furniture to be able to fit a night stand and this table on either side of the bed. Oh well!




the drawer is joined by a wide dovetail crafted by hand



notice how the bottom of the drawer is beveled on either side.





you can see and feel the hand planing work used to create the beveled
edges of the underside of the drawer 





the top is constructed from one solid piece of wood; notice the pegs on each side.
I love the patina of the top despite the scratch marks.


Here it is shown in our bedroom. I kind of like it in this spot even though it will be more functional as a bedside table. Do you have a favorite little table in your home? Or do you have any creative ideas for unconventional bedside tables? In my guest room I use a wooden filing cabinet as a night stand and I've stacked decorative boxes before as well to serve the same purpose.  But now I'm happy to have a wonderful antique bedside table to call my own.




Linking to: