Monday, May 23, 2011

Canning Strawberries

About three weeks ago while my mother-in-law was visiting, we went strawberry picking and she taught me how to make strawberry jam! I had never canned before but always wanted to preserve my summer harvests, so I was delighted to learn!



We had so much fun watching the beautiful berries simmer and turn a deep red color. To keep things simple, we used the recipe on the back of the Sure Gel box (this calls for a lot of sugar- I'd like to find another recipe doesn't use quite as much).

After the berries were ready and the jars all sterilized, the actual canning process went rather quickly. Here's how beautiful the jam turned out:





The jam is delicious. I've been savoring the jar I opened and giving away some as gifts. The jars are stunning and I can't wait to fill my pantry with all kinds of colorful preserves. I especially am looking forward to preserving my vegetables this summer! Do you like to make preserves? If so, do you have any tips you'd be willing to share with a newbie? 



Linking to: