Monday, February 21, 2011

Homesteading at the Roost


our very first egg

Here at Restoring the Roost I haven't focused as much on our homesteading activities (oh, right... except the chickens, of course...I am kind of obsessed with talking about my chickies).


Even though I wouldn't necessarily call myself a homesteader, all of the various arts involved in homesteading are very important to me--and I cannot shake my deep longing to become more self-sufficient and connected to the land that God blessed us with. I love gardening and cooking with the fruits of my labor, my husband brews his own beer, and we raise backyard chickens. In the future we hope to grow a lot more of our own food than we currently do, and perhaps have a small vineyard. I also love to fix up my roost. Does that make me a homesteader, too? Perhaps.

Mr. Rue thinks he's hot stuff


My journey of restoring the roost, wherever that may be, includes not just my physical home and its historic fabric, but also the health of our homestead, spiritually, emotionally, and physically.


Below are some goals for healthy living I've made for this year similar to Amy's "Food Journey" over at Homestead Revival.  These will result in BIG but needed lifestyle changes for our family:

Goal # 1- pray more and be more diligent in daily Bible study.

Goal # 2- eliminate processed foods

Goal # 3- cut way back on consumption of sugar, especially anything with refined sugars

Goal # 4- switch to buying organic produce or local farmer's market produce as much as possible, particularly for the "dirty dozen"

Goal # 5- switch to antibiotic and hormone-free meats if possible or available

Goal # 6-  become more organized at home, devoting a set time for chores and housekeeping each day (instead of letting it all pile up for the weekend)

Goal # 7- try raw goat's milk (if available) and consider eventually keeping goats. If I can't stomach it, then at least switch to hormone-free organic milk

Goal # 8- be able to bake my own bread with local grown/milled whole grains

Goal # 9- switch to all-natural or green cleaning products (we already use green products for some things, but need some alternatives to bleach and regular detergents)

Goal # 10- put extra effort into making our vegetable garden more productive



Quite a list, huh? I am planning to gradually make these changes so that it's not so overwhelming all at once. So, any thoughts or advice? I'd love to hear stories about your own homesteading goals!