Friday, March 16, 2012

St. Patrick's Day Treats

I've been in the mood to bake lately and what better way to celebrate St. Patty's Day than with a brown sugar pound cake and coffee with homemade Irish Cream?



I will admit, I am addicted to Irish Cream flavoring in my coffee. I hated it when Starbucks discontinued until I found Caribou Coffee who still carried it. Just recently, Caribou discontinued it as well. Nooooo!!!!! I was so disappointed. Where will I get my Irish Cream? Well, this recipe from 52 Kitchen Adventures is for real Irish Cream, different than the flavoring but it still tastes great in coffee.



Homemade Irish Cream:


1 cup heavy cream
14 oz. sweet and condensed milk
1/3 cup Irish Whiskey (I used much less in mine, adjust it to your taste)
2 tbsp chocolate syrup
1 tsp instant coffee
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract


Blend all ingredients together in a blender. Put in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. 




Now for the cake part......not exactly how I imagined it would turn out. I had big plans to bake a Brown Sugar Pound Cake with Caramel Glaze using the recipe from Southern Cakes by Nancie McDermott. I have made this cake before, but this time I managed to ruin it by lazily using Pam spray instead of greasing the pan with coconut oil like I should have. So, for all you beginning bakers out there, DO NOT USE PAM SPRAY!  It is evil. It ruined my pound cake by essentially boiling the edges of the cake so that the cake stuck to the sides of the bundt pan.



Even as a crumbled mess, the brown sugar pound cake still tasted great with its caramel glaze (just not too pretty)!

Now if I can only remember to wear green this St. Patrick's Day.....hope yours is a fun one!