Sunday, May 19, 2013

Living Room Updates

 I hope everyone had a very happy Easter. It started out rainy but then turned into a beautiful day to celebrate and worship our Lord who has Risen!

Recently I asked for a pair of wingback chairs that my parents were not using- they hauled them down to NC here for me! (Thanks Mom and Dad!)  I'm a big fan of wingback chairs- mostly because I feel that they are so comfy and cozier than other types of seating. I also think they are classic-looking.



These hand-me-downs, although in great condition, needed to be re-covered for a fresh look that would fit in with the rest of our furnishings. The mauve and green plaid was not working for me.



Oh, what a hard decision this turned out to be. I thought about it for months and frankly put off doing it. Did I want to keep them neutral like the sofa, or go with a bold print? I looked at florals, checks, and pretty damasks, and in the end, I decided to go with a neutral. Boring, I know- but my thought is that I can dress it up with colorful pillows and then I won't get tired of it and want to recover again in five years. The fabric I am leaning towards is the Trillby Basketweave fabric by the yard from Ballard Designs in Natural.



I also decided to strip the stain off the feet of the wingback chairs down to their natural wood color. Luckily the hubby helped, and we used steel wool and a stripping agent, with the porch door open to ventilate the area. A good sanding down gives the wood a smooth, natural looking aged patina.

Here it is before stripping:


Here it is with stripping in progress: 


We aren't quite there yet but are getting pretty close to a more natural tone. We used a "Zip Strip" gel with steel wool to strip the stain, and then the legs will require heavy sanding. 




I think these chairs will be incredible versatile. If not used in the living room, they can always go in a bedroom, or even be used as the two end chairs at a dining table. I hoping to add extra updates to the living room with throw pillows, new curtains, and maybe even a new rug.


Stay tuned for the big reveal!