Monday, December 17, 2012

Christmas Treats



My heart is still mourning for the victims and their families of the tragedy in CT last Friday. It has been hard to wrap my mind around the horrific events, especially seeing pictures of the faces of those precious little children lost. Please join me in continuing to keep the community and the families affected in your prayers.

                                     "I have told you these things, so that in me you may
                                     have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But
                                     take heart! I have overcome the world."  -John 16:33

Sometimes when I am feeling really down it helps me to do something therapeutic, such as gardening or baking. I love to bake but do I always have time for baking? Definitely not. I try to squeeze it into the weekends when I can. I always seem to have high ambitions that go unreached or only partially fulfilled, as in the case of my un-decorated and un-iced gingerbread men. Oh well, they are still yummy all by themselves :)







I like chewy ginger cookies, so I found a recipe located here that makes a chewy ginger cookie. They are certainly good, but not as good as the infamous gingerbread cookies at Burke's Bakery in Danville, Kentucky. Oh my goodness they have the best gingerbread cookies I have ever tasted and I plan to pick up a box while we are home for Christmas. They are a locally-owned family business that has been serving up sweets in Danville for decades.

Another nice Christmas treat available during the season is pomegranates. These beautiful rosy fruits have scrumptious seeds that can be enjoyed in anything from salads to fancy cocktails. We made buttermilk pancakes over the weekend using Christmas cookie cutters for molds, and drizzled the pomegranates and their juices on top. It was delicious- the perfect compliment to the pancakes.

after pouring and cooking the batter, turn over and push out of mold with knife to cook the pancakes fully
 



I also let my chickies try a few of the pomegranate seeds and they showed no restraint or hesitancy over little rosy rubies after they discovered how sweet and tangy they are.



nom nom nom...... 

The chickens devoured them in seconds from my hands and looked up at me for more with pink juice dripping from their beaks. Sorry babies, no more seeds for now.


I know they may be spoiled, but I like to give my flock extra treats during the Holidays- mainly leftovers from whatever we have been cooking :)


What have you been baking up this Christmas? Anything special for your family?


Peace,