Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Seasonal Changes- Autumn is Here!


Hi Friends!




With Autumn's arrival and the beautiful transformation of the outdoors, my little blog here also received a new look! I wanted to update a few things and create a design that could be recognizable and unique to Restoring the Roost :)

I worked with the talented Elizabeth at The Mustard Ceiling who was wonderful in helping me come up with this design and putting everything together for me. Thank so much, Elizabeth!

our front porch

So, on to other seasonal changes. I just love fall, don't you? Autumn inspires me to cozy up my home and change things up from what we eat seasonally to the small touches around the house that welcome fall's arrival.



The leaves are starting to change (and fall) at our little homestead and on a sunny day the trees are so beautiful.

trees in our front yard


view from our front porch

I've placed our home-grown pumpkins on the fireplace mantels:



I whipped up some delicious pumpkin butter that goes great with fresh bread:



Pumpkin Butter Recipe: (via One Perfect Bite)

1 28 oz serving of pumpkin puree (canned or fresh)
3/4 cup apple juice
2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp allspice or mace
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 cups sugar

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring often, for 30 minutes, or until mixture thickens. Cool to room temperature before serving. Store in refrigerator for up to a month. You can also freeze or pressure can for future use. 


And I splurged on a chocolate brown traditional overshot coverlet at the Appalachian Craft Guild Center while we were in Asheville last month:


 I just couldn't bear to pass this beauty up, and I'm thinking I will bring it out for some coziness in the fall and perhaps use it in the guest room draped over the bed. It would also make a beautiful table cloth for fall dinners. It is woven in the old, traditional method from an heirloom craftsman in Kentucky.



I am definitely loving this season- and if you haven't noticed, autumn is my favorite time of the year :)




Linking to: