Thursday, December 8, 2011

Plain and Simple: 2011 Christmas Decor from the Roost

 It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas around the Roost!  I had plans for something really original and different this year, but with my broken leg and mobility limitations I decided to take it easy and dress the home with simple Christmas greenery and humble decor. I really like this better anyway because it helps me focus more on the real reason we celebrate: the birth of our Savior! A big thanks goes out to my dear mom for helping me :)






One of these years, I want to go all out with a Moravian-Inspired Christmas, but for right now, most of the Moravian Christmas decorations from Old Salem are found on my Christmas tree. I am especially fond of the Moravian star, which represents the Christ Child, who is the light of the world!

The Moravian Star

I struggled to decide what I should do with the living room mantel this year (you can view last year's mantel here), but in the end went for simplicity: I placed my Willow Tree Nativity set among fresh evergreens and pine cones. I think it turned out quite nice.





We ordered some new flush mount industrial light fixtures for the kitchen (to replace the ceiling fans), but in the meantime before we put them up I thought I could use them as cloches for some candles. Traditional fresh greenery, simple pillar candles wrapped in humble burlap trim, and a few antique winter prints that I already had comprise the rest of my Christmas decor.

Swags over the mirrors and little lambs with greenery add some Christmas cheer!





I wrapped the candles in burlap trim and secured them with red and white straight pins from my sewing box



My Christmas table setting features a homemade Advent Wreath. I simply placed four small candles on a tray in a circle among the greenery for each week of the Advent season with a candle in the center to represent Christ. I used my good china for the place settings with white linen napkins crystal goblets.



A homemade Advent Wreath in the center consists of white candles with greenery and a larger Christ Candle in in the center covered in burlap trim. 


How do you like to decorate for the Holidays? I hope you are enjoying and able to reflect on all the blessings the season has to offer!


Linking to: