Wednesday, October 27, 2010

An Introduction

Hello and welcome to Restoring the Roost! A roost, home, nest, abode, or whatever you prefer to call it, is  the space where many of the most significant and cherished events of life occur. Historic homes in particular are extra special--to think of all the lives that their walls have sheltered. I believe historic buildings have a certain "feel" to them when you walk inside that you absolutely CANNOT sense with a new building. I find that older buildings contain so much charm, weathered beauty, and functionality.  I hope you will find this resource informative for preserving the past in your own home!

 I love old relics, and as a historian, I decided a long time ago that I would only make my home in a house that was older than 1950. Well, since getting married and living on my own I've stuck to my promise.

Our first home was a loft-style apartment in an early 20th century industrial textile mill overlooking the Haw River that had been rehabilitated into apartments:


The space was wonderful--16 foot ceilings with exposed original wood beams, exposed brick on the exterior wall, great triple-hung windows for tons of natural light, and amazing original wood floors. 


Now we are "setting up house" in a 1917 bungalow out in the country:



Wherever I happen to live, I hope to always be restoring my roost--not just the physical preservation of the structure, but restoring all aspects of a healthy and nurturing home.