Monday, October 29, 2012

The Kitchen



Remember back when I showed you my new open shelving and pot rack, I also promised to show photos of our kitchen here at the Roost? Well, here it is!


There is SO much I would like to do to do in this kitchen to mold it to our taste (if only we weren't renting!). For starters, I'd love to rip out all the upper cabinetry, rip out the wooden valence (or whatever it is) over the sink, install a few open shelves in the space, and paint the bottom cabinets white. I'd also love to replace the appliances and the countertops (the wood planks are just not working- and are hard to keep clean!). Eventually I'd also like to paint the walls white for a cohesive, clean look.






Things I love about this kitchen are that it is a large, open space- very roomy, wood floors, vintage cast-iron sink with sides for drying dishes, and nice double-hung windows that let in lots of light. It is conveniently located right off the dining room as well as the den.



new open shelving and potrack


Here are some of the kitchen details:







a vintage tray holds all of our vinegars, cooking wines, and seasonings frequently used in cooking


An antique breadbowl holds fruits on the drop leaf table

So, in short, my kitchen could be a lot worse and I should be thankful. We used to have an island in the middle of the space, but about a year or so ago I sold the island and replaced it with this antique drop-leaf farm table we had. It's perfect for prepping, for use as a buffet for large informal gatherings, or for brunch for two. I feel like it opens up the space a lot more than the island did.

Another update we managed to make was changing out the ceiling fans for these awesome industrial-inspired light fixtures. They go well with the egg-cage pendant and light hanging in front of the open shelving.

vintage industrial light fixtures replaced ceiling fans


peeking from the dining room into the kitchen

I am hoping wherever we move to next I'll be able to start the kitchen design from scratch. I have seen so many wonderful kitchens that I adore either on the web, blogs or magazines, and it always leaves me with a feeling of kitchen envy. Do you have a favorite type of kitchen? I seem to love open, bright kitchens with simple open shelving and vintage details.



So there you go! Our humble kitchen is not so bad after all......even with mismatched appliances and unpainted stock cabinetry :)



Linking to: